Top 10 Worst Dialogue Translations In Video Games
Video games, like everything else, often suffer from translation mistakes in their localization process. Especially since most are made in Japan and other Asian countries, where the translation into English seems to garner the most mistakes. Either the game companies don’t take the time to review their text translations or they just think it makes for good blog posts so they keep doing it.
Regardless, here are the top 10 worst video game dialogue translations compiled by IGN:
1. “All your base are belong to us.” – Zero Wing
An obvious choice for number 1, as it’s the most famous.
Was this a bad translation or just a bad bit of coding?
3. “Jill, why don’t you, the master of unlocking, take this lock pick.” – Resident Evil
Part of me wishes we spoke like this in every day life.
4. “You were doomed as soon as you lost the ability to love.” – Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Emo kids will disagree that this is an actual mistranslation.
This game probably had an ‘M’ rating.
6. “I feel asleep.” – Metal Gear
You can fall asleep or feel sleepy. You must pick.
7. “You can’t give it up! Triumph or die!” – Street Fighter Alpha 3
What can’t they give up?!
8. The DK Rap – Donkey Kong 64, Super Smash Bros Melee
You’re just one of many.
10. “Shine Get!” – Super Mario Sunshine