With the UK job market looking increasingly gloomy, and student fees on the rise as of September alternative career and study choices are becoming increasingly popular. TEFL (Teach English as a Foreign Language) courses are one of these alternative options that are growing in reputation. TEFL courses are seen as an excellent opportunity for teachers who want to further their career abroad and for candidates looking to gain real life experience to add to their CV.
St Giles International offer English and TEFL courses at their English schools worldwide and have noticed an increase in the number of students enrolling on TEFL courses since job opportunities at home have become harder to come by. This relationship could be due to the fact that job seekers are viewing TEFL courses as a way to secure work both in the UK and abroad in a sector that is always looking for fresh ideas, approaches and workers.
TEFL is not just a good opportunity to earn money, but a great opportunity to explore the world. Not only by visiting a country but being part of the culture and helping to shape a part of the community there. You will meet amazing new people teaching English and it can be an extremely positive experience. TEFL courses appeal to anyone with a passion for languages and teaching others. If you have thought of undertaking a TEFL course in the past but may have changed your mind, or are currently thinking about the possibility of enrolling on a TEFL course here are the main reasons we believe you should do so:
- TEFL courses give you the opportunity to work and live in the UK and abroad. With job opportunities restricted, alternative career choices can help you secure a sustainable career.
- Travel whilst earning money. Many people would love to travel the world but are put off due to the fact they would need to save a sum of money that would allow them to pay for travel and accommodation whilst travelling, this doesn’t have to be the case if you can work while abroad.
- Experience different cultures. The main reason people go travelling, if you have a hunger to learn more about the world and would love to fully immerse yourself in a culture there is no better way to do so than to teach.
- Along the lines of experiencing different cultures, if you are living in another country you will have the chance to learn a new language. While it is not a requirement of a TEFL teacher to know the native language, it can be a helpful skill whilst in the country and further on in life.
- Employers look favourably on candidates who have spent time teaching abroad. If you decide you want to return home at any point, you will have gained valuable life skills and you may have learnt about different cultures.
If you are interested in teaching English as a foreign language the two internationally recognized courses are: CELTA (Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults ) and CERT. TESOL (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).
St Giles International offers both of these TEFL courses at their English language schools, and are a great opportunity for anyone with a passion for languages, teaching or travel.
–Article written by Charles Morley